Also take a look at the following settings in the postconf docs:

default_destination_recipient_limit

default_destination_concurrency_limit

initial_destination_concurrency

queue_run_delay

Their importance to you (in my opinion) are listed in order, the first
setting I listed is what is most likely affecting things the most. The
default settings though should be perfect for most people.
 - to see your current settings type on the command line:
postconf default_destination_recipient_limit
default_destination_concurrency_limit initial_destination_concurrency
queue_run_delay

Postfix has some nice logic for reusing connections, so that you don't have
to worry or understand how delivery works, but lets say you had 100 emails
to hotmail in (or around) the same time, an mta can make 100 connections to
hotmail at the same time (concurrency) with one message each, or could make
1 connection and send all 100 in one connection, or a mix, for example
making 10 connections with 10 emails sent in each. There's no limit to what
you tell postfix to send, or I should say "attempt to send", however what
the receiving ISP (like hotmail) will accept from you varies greatly
depending on your mailing domain/ip's reputation, so there's no global
numbers we can tell you that will work for everyone. It also varies per
ISP, like gmail may tolerate less connections/recipients than hotmail or
vice versa.

Too many messages error = that ISP wants less per connection, and the
opposite error, "too many connections" means you should send more each
connection, but if you're sending a lot of mail chances are they just won't
want to see as much from you in a short time frame and you will just have
to slow down the total messages sent, so I'd say *slightly* lower
your default_destination_recipient_limit and see if that helps and if you
start getting too many connection errors, then you know its just too much
mail to send that fast. Also, if you are hitting any kind of sending
problem like that, you probably have another program injecting messages to
postfix, like a newsletter program etc. If that's the case, slow that
script down and leave postfix alone, its nice that postfix figures this
stuff out for you, but when things go wrong its the sender's fault not the
mta.

IP reputation is beyond the scope of this discussion so if you want more
info on it search for yahoo's postmaster doc's which explain it very well,
hotmail's docs are decent too.

Paul