Hello list,

I need to put a SMTP relay between Internet and my company's mx (which stores inboxes), in order to do some processing. Current situation is that the mx receives messages directly from the Internet, without hops inbetween; on the mx, postfix is configured to retrieve allowed recipients from a mysql database, in particular with the following directives in main.cf:

virtual_mailbox_domains = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_domains_maps.cf
virtual_mailbox_maps =
    proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf,
proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_domain_mailbox_maps.cf

On the relay, I'm going to use a relay domain address class, with the following directives:

relay_domains = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_domains_maps.cf
relay_recipient_maps =
        proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf,
proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_domain_mailbox_maps.cf
relay_transport = relay:[my.mx.ip]

At the moment, everything is working as expected; of course my goal is preserving access policies: I need to accept/reject the same recipients before and after the relay adoption (smtpd_recipient_restrictions will also be the same, obviously). Do you see any outstanding issues in this particular confiuguration, provided that the database will be exactly the same? According to the docs, maps referred by those directives should be identical in syntax, so a swap shouldn't be problematic.

wanted configuration: internet -> relay -> mx, with the same allowed recipients

Please let me know if you need more information on my setup.

Thanks,

Fabio Sangiovanni