On 24/10/2013 23:50, Tim Legg wrote:
Hello,
I'm not tring to do virtual domains.  Just trying to get it to work with
just one domain.  This time, I used this guide:
https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/serverguide/postfix.html
I can telnet to my machine just fine on port 25.
I tried to send an e-mail from my address on mail.com to my own machine
to test it out. It bounced.  Below is the tail of my mail.log
postfix/smtpd[12344]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
mout.gmx.net[74.208.4.201]: 554 5.7.1 <m...@timothyxxxx.com>: Relay access
denied; from=<timx...@mail.com> to=<m...@timothyxxxx.com> proto=ESMTP
helo=<mout.gmx.net>
postfix/smtpd[12344]: disconnect from mout.gmx.net[74.208.4.201]

Then it would appear that you haven't actually followed that guide correctly. Under the "Basic configuration" section, it tells you how to configure Postfix to receive mail for your domain:

https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/serverguide/postfix.html#postfix-configuration

At a guess, you haven't correctly replaced 'example.com' with 'timothyxxx.com' when following those instructions. If you can show us the output from 'postconf -n' then I suspect we can confirm that.

I read about this error on other forums, but I had no idea what they
were talking about.  I just need to do what needs to be done to make it
work.  Unfortunately, on Ubuntu, postfix doesn't seem to work
out-of-the-box.

Postfix does work out of the box, in the sense that you don't need to add any plugins or do any advanced configuration to make it work. Where default settings are possible, then Postfix will work fine with the defaults. But there are some settings for which a default value is impossible because it will be different for every installation. Those settings have to be configured correctly. One of the most important is the list of domains in the 'mydestination' parameter.

I don't need to even relay mail, I just want my own
incoming mail to be delivered.  I don't get why this has to be so hard.

It isn't hard. it just requires the ability to read and follow simple instructions. If you think postfix is hard to understand, try exim, or sendmail :-)

Having said that, I'm not convinced that the Ubuntu Postfix documentation is as clear and easy to follow as it could be. Using 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure postfix' seems a rather unnecessarily obscure way of setting basic parameters; I'm pretty sure most people would do 'sudo vim /etc/postfix/main.cf' instead as that makes it a lot easier to see exactly what you need to change.

To be more specific about that, if you edit /etc/postfix/main.cf using vim (or you favourite text editor) then you'll see a line which looks like this:

mydestination = example.com, localhost.example.com, localhost

You need to make sure that it contains the domain you are receiving mail for, like this:

mydestination = timothyxxx.com, localhost.timothyxxx.com, localhost

(The 'localhost.timothyxxx.com' entry may be superfluous, or alternatively you may need to add other subdomains of your domain, but you can tweak that later if necessary).

Once you've set that correctly, reload Postfix and you should find it accepts mail correctly from the Internet. If it doesn't, follow up to this message with a copy of your output from 'postconf -n' and we can possibly give you some more clues.

Mark
--
My blog: http://mark.goodge.co.uk