On 11/06/2013 07:01 AM, Vijay Rajah wrote:

> How do I configure postfix to drop the mail rather than reject? Is it
> configurable?

Why on earth would you want to drop mail that you can reject?

> I have already configured my servers to REJECT all mails
> not-intended to my domains and non-exsistant users and I do not accept
> mails from non-exsistant domains. Is this enough?

That's a good start, it also helps to do as much screening pre-queue as
possible and to reject mail based on that.  postscreen is an excellent
tool for this.

> What do I do when I accept an email, only to later find out the user's
> quota is full?

You shouldn't be doing this (see below), but if you must accept the mail
then I would highly recommend you deliver it, even if the mailbox is
over quota.

> (it only recently that dovecot has an way for REJECTING
> mail on such cases).

Correct, dovecot now provides a policy daemon that works well with
postfix, use it and reject that mail as you should.

> Do I Bounce that email or drop the mail (After I
> have accepted it? Surely, in this scenario the correct thing would be to
> BOUNCE is it not?)?

Consider that if a user goes over quota and you cannot, due to bad
configuration, reject the mail, and you bounce, like you seem to want to
do, then all it takes is for a spammer to spam that user with various
spoofed senders and you have instant backscatter.

> I'm just trying to understand the ways to prevent BOUNCEs..

Prevent bounces by rejecting as much as possible instead.  If you're in
a situation where you think you have then often times if you think a bit
more creatively you can avoid bouncing or dropping mail.  In the case of
SPAM you can deliver to the user's "Spam" folder, in the case of viruses
you can quarantine.

I'm not saying that there isn't case where bouncing is appropriate, but
I am hard pressed to think of one, and it makes sense to try to avoid it
wherever possible.

Peter