Am 23.12.2013 16:09, schrieb Viktor Dukhovni:
> On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 01:29:38AM +1100, nanotek wrote:
>> Still, might be a good time to create my own CA and upgrade to 4096 bit
>> keys/certificates
>
> You can deploy 4096-bit RSA key if it makes you feel more cool,
> but there is little point in going beyond 2048-bit RSA at this
> time.  The further you stray away from current practice into the
> land of "extreme" cryptography, the more likely you are to run into
> interoperability problems, without any real security gains.
>
>> using SHA512 algorithms
>
> TLSv1 and TLSv1.2 does not support negotiation of digest algorithms.
> Deploying digests beyond SHA1 will cause interoperability problems
> with systems that don't yet support the SHA2 family

hopefully i do not get proven wrong here but:

in the last few months i am about testing OpenSSL-Keys with RSA 3072 / SHA256
a far as i can see even old MSIE6 on Windows XP happily connects to a webserver
which such a key - given that are you aware of systems / mailservers which would
have a problem with it?

my plans for 2014 originally are get a signed 3072 SHA 256 *wildcard*
certificate
for 2 years for use on several webservers as well as Postfix / Dovecot

i am aware of the ironically domain below, but given that the NSA not only
works on break into foreign systems but also protect US infracsturucture
they may have a good reason to state 3072 Bit for AES128

http://www.nsa.gov/business/programs/elliptic_curve.shtml