On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 11:16:50AM +0100, li...@rhsoft.net wrote:

> > The symptom would be that your certificate chain is not verifiable,
> > verify error:num=7:certificate signature failure
>
> Thank you for that.
>
> Am I right that this does not break opportunistic TLS at a whole
> for such destinations?

With clients using OpenSSL, probably not.  I can't say how other
clients will react to certificates with unsupported digest agorithms.
Perhaps in some cases they try to instantiate the digest algorithm
and fail to connect.  You'd need to test with Microsoft Exchange
2003, various vendor appliances, ...

> In that case I would still go with RSA 3072 / SHA256 for severar reasons
>
> * recent distributions ship OpenSSL 1.0.0 or 1.0.1

Yes, but some servers continue to be used for a decade or more.

> * RHEL5: openssl-0.9.8e-26.el5_9.1 with backports

I don't know what RedHat backported to 0.9.8e, with 0.9.8 vendors
generally backported critical fixes only, you'd need to test whether
the SHA2 enablement in SSL was one of these backports.

--
        Viktor.