On May 27, 2014, at 2:38 PM, Wietse Venema <wie...@porcupine.org> wrote:

> Joe Shamblin:
>> I am experiencing an issue where hosts that do not have reverse
>> DNS see an extended delay (45-60 seconds for ssl or non-ssl
>> connections) before they get the initial 220 greeting. Hosts that
>> do have properly registered entries get in immediately. I have
>> downloaded the source, and the programs that perform the lookups
>> gethostbyaddr, etc... all seem to return quickly enough. DNS on
>> the machine is also snappy and returns the lack of RDNS quickly.
>> Setting smtpd_peername_lookup to no solves the issue, but has other
>> ramifications. The server in question is running postfix 2.9.6-1
>> on ubuntu 12.04. A different server with the same configuration
>> does not seem to have the issue. Setting the debug_peer for the
>> hosts show the same thing for the hosts that experience a delay
>> versus those that do not, basically a bunch of match_hostaddr and
>> match_hostname calls. Once the initial delay is out of the way,
>> everything proceeds as normal.
>
> Please TURN OFF chroot in master.cf.
>
> The master.cf entry should look like this:
>
> smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
>
> Then do "postfix reload".
>
> More information: http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#no_chroot

Yes that did the trick, thanks very much. Though it seems to break sasl
authentication without making other changes.

I had seen that in the documentation, and as the all caps imply should have
payed closer attention, but I did verify that the chroot environment seemed
correct as well. As I mentioned I have two hosts running basically the same
configuration (except the local hostnames), and one seems to work fine and the
other not. I assume that the chrooted environment is slightly preferred due to
security. Is there an expedient way to track down where the problem might be
with the chrooted environment, or a likely candidate from the information in
the first post?

Thanks again!

Joe
--
Joe Shamblin                                    w...@cs.duke.edu
Senior IT Analyst                       Department of Computer Science