Wietse:
Begin quote from Postfix sendmail manpage
       -C config_file

       -C config_dir
              The path name of the Postfix main.cf  file,  or  of  its  parent
              directory.  This  information  is  ignored with Postfix versions
              before 2.3.

              With all Postfix versions, you can specify a directory  pathname
              with  the MAIL_CONFIG environment variable to override the loca-
              tion of configuration files.
End quote from Postfix sendmail manpage

**********
I'm using the Apple-compiled Postfix 2.9.4 that comes with Mac
Mavericks server.  One thing that made setup much harder than it
needed to be for me is that Apple puts their postfix config files in a
different location than the "standard" /etc/postfix, but yet the
postfix helper apps in /usr/sbin (postmap, postconf, etc) default to
looking in /etc/postfix for the config files unless overridden by the
-c flag.  I'd get misdirected by editing the Apple config
files,running the commands without the -c and then find out that my
changes didn't take effect, etc.

Sooo, is this expected behavior that those always default to
/etc/postfix unless told otherwise?  Is there a way to override that
behavior short of moving the working config files to /etc/postfix and
changing the config_directory which I'm loathe to do since Apple's
next upgrade might break a non-standard install?  Is it a compile-time
option that Apple didn't do? Something else?  I realize that they have
to default to looking somewhere for the config files, and it makes
sense to default to the widest audience, but....

Thanks.

$ pwd
/Library/Server/Mail/Config/postfix

$ postconf config_directory
config_directory = /etc/hiWietse

$ postconf -c /Library/Server/Mail/Config/postfix config_directory
config_directory = /Library/Server/Mail/Config/postfix

$ postconf -n | wc -l
      63

$ postconf -c /Library/Server/Mail/Config/postfix -n | wc -l
      65