Viktor Dukhovni:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 06:46:01AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
>
> > >  I also took
> >
> > What problem does this solve?
>
> Perhaps none.  Technically most of the libraries and all the plugins
> depend on libutil which needs a RUNPATH.  However, with all the
> executables already linked to all the libraries, this is likely
> not needed.  If there were commands or daemons that did not need
> one of the libraries directly, the linker decided to skip the
> "unnecessary" dependency, then we could hypothetically need to
> explicitly link plugins with libutil and often libglobal.
>
> As it stands, it is not clear this is solving any problems.

I think that it is good to make these assuptions explicit in the
Postfix implementation.

As for the hard-coded gcc dependency for shared-library builds,
that is an oversight in quality assurance.  I guess this part of
the patch will require the usual treatment: confirm that it works
with a variety of (vendor, vintage, compiler) combinations.