Thanks for your insight, Viktor. There was a mismatch of sasl libraries.
After re-installing the latest SASL2 libs, the build completed successfully.

However, now postdrop and postqueue are giving this error:

reddwarf:~ mikec$ postdrop
dyld: Library not loaded: /libsasl2.dylib
  Referenced from: /usr/sbin/postdrop
  Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap: 5

I've compiled other libraries before that have the correct rpath attached
(rpath == $PREFIX).
For some reason, after building the sasl2 libs, it does not.

Do I need to define something else outside of what the sasl2 configure script
is doing to ensure that the rpath is being set correctly?

reddwarf:~ mikec$ otool -L /usr/local/lib/libsasl2.dylib
/usr/local/lib/libsasl2.dylib:
        /libsasl2.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0, current version 3.0.0)
        /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 1197.1.1)
        /usr/lib/libresolv.9.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 1.0.0)

thanks,
#mikec