McKinnon Chris:
> Hi Wietse,
>
> Concerning #1, I checked the mail.log and I'm seeing the following
> warnings (many times):
>
> postfix/smtpd[71979]: warning: hostname static.vdc.vn does not resolve to
> address 113.160.154.177
> postfix/smtpd[72386]: warning: hostname bamovil-181-135-42-61.une.net.co does
> not resolve to address 181.135.42.61: nodename nor servname provided, or not
> known

These two warnings are correct. The IP address resolves to a name,
but that name does not resolve at all, or it resolver to a different
IP address.

> postfix/smtpd[16896]: warning:
> nwk-txn-msbadger0202.apple.com.dbl.spamhaus.org: RBL lookup error: Host or
> domain name not found. Name service error for
> name=nwk-txn-msbadger0202.apple.com.dbl.spamhaus.org type=A: Host not found,
> try again

Sometimes spamhaus lookups fail.

> Concerning #2, I've asked my users to perform that test and I'll
> get back to you with the results.  I did run:
>
> sudo cat /var/log/mail.log | grep -c "connect from unknown"
>
> And I'm seeing 4794 occurrences since July 11th.

Do you see "connect from unknown" for the client systems that
complain about delays?

When doing "telnet servername 25" from an affected client, how long
does it take for the server to respond with "220 servername ..."?