> On 08/26/2014 12:56 AM, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
>> Are there any reasons against using chrooted smtp ?
>
> Chroot jails require an expert administrator, able to trouble-shoot
> problems with plugins or system libraries that depend on resources
> that may not exist in the jail.
>
> Debian made the mistake of enabling chroot on machines operated by
> relatively inexperienced users, and failing to fully automate all
> the requisite chroot-jail care and feeding.

I have found the problem:

I had /var mounted with nosuid,nodev,noexec options. When I remount it
with  nosuid,dev,exec then the hostname resolving works (even when chrooted)

May I ask list members an opinion?
Now when chroot works, is it recommended to use it? Does it provide an
extra layer of security?

thanks,
Martin