On Sep 22, 2014, at 2:43 PM, Viktor Dukhovni <postfix-us...@dukhovni.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 01:29:37PM -0500, Noel Jones wrote:
>
>> My thought: there are popular distros that have set this explicitly
>> to "no" for years, and yet we get very few questions here where the
>> artificial "no" setting causes a problem. So in a sense it's already
>> been tested for us.
>
> Thanks.  [ Anyone else with strong preferences in either direction? ]
>
> Note, there is a difference between starting with a different
> default (and building a configuration that works with that) and
> having the default change on a system with an existing configuration
> that relies on the previous behaviour.
>
> So yes, append_dot_mydomain=no has proved usable, but migration
> from "yes" to "no" may require updating aliases files and the like
> at sites that relied on the previous default or they can of course
> simply set "append_dot_mydomain = yes" as part of the upgrade.

I have no strong feelings either way, but the alias case is a great
example of possible breakage.

While I assume this would be pointed out in the release notes, I
would think a log message on startup would be a great way to notify
the folks that tend not to thoroughly examine the release notes.  I
know when I get lazy with an upgrade, I do always tail the maillog
when restarting, and thats probably (hopefully?) common admin
behavior, even amongst the rushed devops admins of the world.  A
Warn: append_dot_mydomain default behavior has changed from yes to
no, please examine main.cf message or similar would certainly get my
attention.

$0.02 and all…

Charles