On 10/22/2014 2:45 PM, steve wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This weekend a MySQL server which backends a couple of postfix servers went
> down for a couple of hours without anyone noticing and I'm looking to setup
> some monitoring so that it doesn't go unnoticed again in future.

There are really only two good options for monitoring postfix.

+ base level monitoring -- is postfix master process running? bonus
points: see if postfix answers with a 220 response on the smtp port.

+ operational monitoring -- a process submits a message
periodically, another process monitors the target mailbox to see if
a message arrives periodically.

Anything in between is pretty meaningless.

In the case of a broken lookup table interrupting receiving mail,
only "operational monitoring" would reveal that.