On Nov 13, 2014, at 15.02, Noel Jones <njo...@megan.vbhcs.org> wrote:

> On 11/13/2014 11:14 AM, b...@bitrate.net wrote:
>> hi-
>>
>> short version:
>> i have an mx which, after doing the initial handling [postscreen, etc] of
>> messages arriving from the internet, relays mail to another computer for
>> content filtering [amavis/spamassassin]:
>>
>> relay_transport = lmtp-filter:[mfa.example.com]:lmtp-filter-external
>>
>> after a message has been accepted, i'd like to delay its relay to the
>> content filter for five minutes.  can postfix do this?
>>
>> longer version:
>> i've noticed a recent trend in which a message arrives, passes
>> postscreen/various smtpd_*_restrictions, and is passed to the content
>> filter, which passes it as clean, having not matched many rules [in
>> particular, network tests like uri dnsbls, razor/pyzor, etc].
>>
>> minutes later, the same message arrives [timestamps, message ids, etc
>> differ], in that time has made its way into the results of various network
>> tests, and is then marked is spam.
>>
>> e.g. my consideration for this approach.  i'd also be interested in general
>> thoughts on this problem, and other possibilities.  i'm not particularly
>> fond of artificial delays, and the various implications [e.g. queue sizes,
>> user expectations, etc], but in the context of a controlled environment
>> [e.g. after postfix has accepted the message, i'm willing to at least
>> entertain the possibility.
>>
>> thanks-ben
>>

> This is exactly why greylisting was invented.  Have you tried that?

i don't know about "exactly", but yes, i did briefly consider that greylisting
would have a somewhat similar effect.  it would introduce a delay, but at the
cost of all of the other side effects of greylisting, which would likely cause
more problems than it would solve, imho.  that's why i wanted to do it after
the message was accepted, where the onus can be fully on me regarding its fate.

-ben