Please excuse the top post. "the web client . . ."

Thanks for expanding on this.

I've hacked a means of getting around this for the time being, until we
can change the addressing of the "lists".   A simple fix, technically
but a cautious tradition exists.

Thanks for all the comments.

joe a.

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 06:13:30AM -0500, Joe Acquisto-j4 wrote:

> While I agree Bcc is correct, I am having difficulty accepting,
> logically, not in fact,  that the forwarded message should fail.
> After all, it is actually addressed to only one person.

The SMTP envelope is one person, but many MTAs (including the
venerable Sendmail) impose limits on the sizes of the message
headers, whether such limits are byte counts or recipient counts, ...

Postfix is more generous than many, and limits only the length of
individual logical header lines truncating them to ~100K bytes each
(Sendmail limits the entire set of headers to ~64K, perhaps 32K in
some versions).

> By analogy,  would UPS or FedEx be correct to refuse a shipment
> as overweight if it consisted of an envelope empty except for a
> sticky note that had 500 Lbs. written on it?

Your analogies are irrelevant.  MTAs process both the message
envelope and the headers, and resource limits vary.

The software doing the bulk mailings is broken, and that's the
problem you need to focus on.

Good luck.

--
    Viktor.