the most likely reason is "make install" versus "make upgrade" which *both* don't apply for a rpmbuild because there is no business for "interactive" and no business for "non-interactive version, for upgrades"

would "make install" just work non-interactive problem gone

# make install       (interactive version, first time install)
# make upgrade       (non-interactive version, for upgrades)

pretty sure the reason why Redhat is using "postfix-install" while for all other packages "make install DESTDIR=%{buildroot}" is in use