Is there some reason why home_mailbox gets hard-wired to a user's home
directory for maildir-flavour delivery?

I would like to arrange for user inboxes to be held in the IMAP store -- say in
/var/imap/<username>/INBOX -- rather than in each user's home directory. ie All
email gets stored in one fixed place on the mail server and essentially managed
there by dovecot.

Some users might not always have a home directory on the mail server: eg roving
users with laptops and tablets. So symlinks from ~/maildir to
/var/imap/<username>/INBOX wouldn't always work. It's not really scalable
either and looks ugly too. Virtual mailboxes and/or transport seem to be
overkill: more moving parts, more config files to manage, etc.

I suppose src/local/mailbox.c coud get hacked or I could feed stuff into a some
sort of procmail-style delivery agent but neither option really appeals.

FWIW I could live with the absence of .forward files and the like if inboxes
were not in maildir format under user's home directories. Come to think of it,
that would actually be a Big Win - no more "I've gone for a coffee and won't
reply for another 5 minutes" emails.

Is there some obvious or clean way of doing this that I've overlooked?