Am 28.08.2015 um 20:28 schrieb Forrest:
> On 8/28/15 2:09 PM, Robert Schetterer wrote:
>> Am 28.08.2015 um 20:03 schrieb Forrest:
>>> I've become used to the script kiddies sending out large connection
>>> requests (I do have a threshold set).  They are able to get around it by
>>> other connections.  For example, I had 857 connects of this:
>>>
>>> Aug 28 11:57:35 mail postfix/smtpd[20544]: connect from
>>> unknown[5.232.194.77]
>>> Aug 28 11:57:35 mail postfix/smtpd[20544]: warning: Connection rate
>>> limit exceeded: 56 from unknown[5.232.194.77] for service smtp
>>> Aug 28 11:57:35 mail postfix/smtpd[20544]: disconnect from
>>> unknown[5.232.194.77] ehlo=1 auth=0/1 unknown=0/2 commands=1/4
>>>
>>> While it may be time for an external tool like fail2ban, I'm wondering
>>> if there are other measures I can take, that may break things (but I'm
>>> the only one that uses this system), such as changing port numbers of
>>> certain services.
>>>
>>> I do block the IP spaces when I see this, which is a no-brainer.  But I
>>> wonder how others are mitigating this activity.   Pointers, advice
>>> welcomed (and thanks in advance).
>>>

>>> _F
>>>

>> if youre the only user, postscreen and fail2ban should be fine
>>

>> Best Regards
>> MfG Robert Schetterer
>>

> There is potential this server will be used more widely, though.
>
> The default connection rate limiting seems to work; however, the above
> mentioned log had a client connecting over 800 times, and I think that
> should never happen.  I read through postscreen's README page online and
> I'm not clear about how postscreen can mitigate this.  Do you have some
> pointers to pages that show examples of this?
>
> Thanks.

in very short words
the only way to limit cons is rejecting/dropping with a firewall,
postscreen is able to do early rejects but however meanwhile it has smtp
"slots" open
so combine fail2ban etc and postscreen maybe a good idea

in the past i tested other solutions, but be warned these must fit to
your setup and needs

https://sys4.de/de/blog/2014/03/27/fighting-smtp-auth-brute-force-attacks/

https://sys4.de/de/blog/2012/12/28/botnets-mit-rsyslog-und-iptables-recent-modul-abwehren/

http://blog.arschkrebs.de/blog/new-fail2ban-rules-for-postscreen/