On Mon  18:29 , Viktor Dukhovni <postfix-us...@dukhovni.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 05, 2015 at 12:29:45PM +0200, Patrick Wagner wrote:
> > Everything's working fine, but smtpd produces dozens of debug
> > lines per SMTP AUTH, which makes the journald log quite
> unreadable:
> The logging is emitted by Cyrus SASL, not Postfix.

I suspected as much, but wanted to make sure.

> > Oct 05 11:55:01 mail postfix/smtpd[5883]: sql plugin try and
> connect to a host
> >
> > These messages are facility 'auth' and severity 'debug', so don't
> end up
> > in /var/log/maillog and I can just look there for mail-related
> messages,
> > but I'd still like to keep the clutter out of the journald log.
> Postfix logs with facility "mail", these syslog() calls are from
> inside the Cyrus library.
> > Setting the log_level to 0 in /etc/sasl2/smtpd.conf doesn't change
> anything.
> Perhaps you're editing the wrong file, or not running "postfix
> reload" to restart the affected processes.
> log_level: 0
> is the correct interface.

It's the correct file for sure, as changing the SQL connection parameters in
the file to incorrect ones break SASL auth as expected, but log_level is
ignored, at least as far as these debug messages are concerned.

I've now verified that I can see the exact same messages if I configure an
auth.debug syslog output in rsyslog on the original Ubuntu 12.04 server as
well, and the Ubuntu server is unimpressed by  "log_level: 0" as well and
continues logging the SQL debug messages into said log file, so this is indeed
unrelated to CentOS or its cyrus-sasl package and I notice it only just now
because Ubuntu with its default rsyslog settings doesn't log auth.debug (or
*.debug, for that matter) messages anywhere, while they will all naturally end
up in systemd.

Oh, and I found the following post on the cyrusl-sasl mailing list, posted by
Alexej Melnikov in 2006 - so there was (still is?) maybe something special
about Postfix's handling of cyrus-sasl?
http://lists.andrew.cmu.edu/pipermail/cyrus-sasl/2006-April/000377.html

Here's my cyrus-sasl smtpd.conf, for reference:

pwcheck_method: auxprop
auxprop_plugin: sql
mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5
sql_engine: mysql
sql_hostnames: 127.0.0.1:33306
sql_user: dbusername
sql_passwd: dbsecretpw
sql_database: postfix
sql_select: SELECT passwd FROM sasl WHERE uname = '%u'
log_level: 0

--
Patrick Wagner