On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 2:23 PM, Wietse Venema <wie...@porcupine.org> wrote:

> Dan Lists:
> > Oct 10 09:13:39 nook postfix/cleanup[18080]: fatal: pcre map
> > /usr/local/etc/postfix/body_checks, line 17: matched text exceeds buffer
> > limit
>
> Yes, in case of trouble, look for panic or fatal messages first.
> Especially when the SMTP transcript tells you to look in the log
> for details.
>
> The PCRE client does not know the queue ID, and the SMTP daemon
> does not know that the PCRE client aborted (nor does the SMTP daemon
> know why).  This will not change. Logging the full execution context
> for every possible error comes with a significant cost.

cleanup knows the queue id, it logged:

Oct 10 09:13:37 myserver postfix/cleanup[18080]: 89C476DF8C3: warning:
header Subject: CONFIDENTAIL: CLAIM YOUR PRIZE from
avas10tiga.indosat.net.id[219.83.54.103]; from=<2...@heathfield.co.nz> to=<
u...@myserver.net> proto=ESMTP helo=<avas10tiga.indosat.net.id>

Couldn't the cleanup fatal log entry be changed to add the queue id?  So
like this:

Oct 10 09:13:39 myserver postfix/cleanup[18080]:  89C476DF8C3: fatal: pcre
map /usr/local/etc/postfix/body_checks, line 17: matched text exceeds
buffer limit

> Why didn't smtpd log the 451 error?   This is the first time I have ever
> > seen smtpd not log the final outcome.
>
> Postfix will not log all [45]xx replies.  That would make it way
> too easy to flood the file system. However, every panic or fatal
> error should be investigated whether it happened during an SMTP
> session or otherwise.
>

> Is there a way to increase the buffer limit?
>
> Maybe this helps:
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mailing.postfix.users/14GV4g4kNyk

My expression does not have any .* in it.  Here it is:

%https?://[0-9]*\.[0-9]*\.[0-9]*\.[0-9]*/public/% REJECT

I would like to reject this message so they stop trying to send it.  I
could modify the expression but then it wold not match and the message
would not be rejected.

What is the buffer size for pcre?  The machine has a lot of resources, can
I bump the limit?