I run a low volume mail server - about a dozen messages per day.
Like you, I have had open relay attacks, and also persistent probes with no
messages being sent.

So far, the best answer I have found is to limit simultaneous connections to
one per host.

My current anti-abuse settings are:-

smtpd_error_sleep_time = 2s
smtpd_soft_error_limit = 3
smtpd_hard_error_limit = 6
smtpd_junk_command_limit = 2
smtpd_client_connection_count_limit = 1
postscreen_client_connection_count_limit = 1

They allow genuine users an "honest" mistake or two  (or a glitch on the
connection), but is very hard on bad callers.

since implementing the above measures, bad connections have fallen by more
than half, and persistent multiple connection attempts have almost stopped.

Hope this helps.

Allen C