On Sun, Nov 08, 2015 at 02:56:16PM +1300, Peter wrote:

> According to header_checks(5), header_checks is assumed to be used with
> pcre or regexp table types, but I'd like to know if it would work with
> other tables types.  My use case is an SQL table that does substring
> matching based on the tables contents and a query to specify how the
> match is performed.
>
> 1.  Will this work at all?

Just be aware that headers potentially contain embedded new-lines,
and can be up to 100k bytes (header_size_limit) long.  Test your
SQL engine to make sure it supports queries with string literals
that long.

> 2.  Is it a supported use case?

Yes.

> 3.  Assuming the answer to 1 is "yes", will it continue to work in the
> future or is it possible that the functionality could be changed or
> removed in a way which will break this use case?

Provided the underlying table driver does not choke on general
input, you can attempt to use any table type in a context that
supports table lookups.

--
        Viktor.