Hello,

with a recent update I got confused about virtual domains and mydestination, as they seem to do different things with subdomains

I had following setup:

mydomain = stoecker.eu
myhostname = mail.stoecker.eu
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain
virtual_alias_domains = ...a bunch of domains...
virtual_alias_maps = pcre:/etc/postfix/virtual-sub

where the virtual-sub assigns different mail addresses and groups of addresses to local users (including subdomains of stoecker.eu for each user). Each target is a local mailbox later delivered with dovecot.

Now I got the Punycode variant of stoecker.eu (xn--stcker-xxa.eu) as well and wanted to add it to virtual_alias_domains like all the other domains. It did not work, as the subdomains have been rejected. I only used subdomains for stoecker.eu before, so I never noticed that there is a difference.

Now I checked the postfix virtual domain documentation and parameter descriptions and I don't understand it much better. Is that intended behaviour, that mydestination includes subdomains and virtual_alias_domains not?

I now added "xn--stcker-xxa.eu" to mydestination and it works as expected still I'd like to understand what I do.

Ciao