I’m trying to send e-mail via PHP’s built in mail() function (which uses
sendmail), however, although I’m providing a valid return-path, postfix appears
to be rewriting it to become www-d...@domain.tld <mailto:www-d...@domain.tld>,
which is not what I want.

Is there a way to prevent this in postfix? Or even better, can I have postfix
only rewrite the return path if it fails to match some kind of pattern (e.g-
unknown or missing domain, domain doesn’t match from address or such)? The
return paths I want to use are boun...@domain.tld <mailto:boun...@domain.tld>
so I can create mailboxes specifically for holding those so a script can
process them later.

For the moment I’m working around the issue by providing a return path via a
command line option, but this is far from ideal as it means either editing my
php.ini (affects all PHP scripts for all domains) or I have to edit each
mail-sending PHP script in order to have them use the same option but that
means editing software that I’m currently using as-is, and remembering to keep
the change up to date. Neither is a great option, especially when the scripts
are all sending valid return paths already.

The issue only seems to be affected sendmail; messages send via SMTP seem to be
fine, but I’m not sure if that’s because I’m only accepting authenticated
addresses when sending?