Milan Popovic:
> Hi,
>
> I am developing a parser for postfix which interact with logstash and
> elasticsearch. The architecture use Sophos puremessage for
> antispam/antivirus.
> I am facing an "issue" with logs. I want to process the logs on the fly.
> When a message come into the system, postfix process it, send it to the
> sophos and then sophos send it back to postfix.
>
> Postfix ID1 -> Sophos -> Postfix ID2
>
> I think postfix for performance reason writes logs after processing
> messages.

No, Postfix logs information as soon as it is available, so that
no logging will be lost when a process crashes.

This is the order that you should see:

before-filter smtpd logs the start of a mail transaction
before-filter cleanup logs some content info
before-filter qmgr logs sender and number of recipients
[content filter logging goes here]
after-filter smtpd logs the start of a mail transaction
after-filter cleanup logs some content info
before-filter smtp logs that mail is delivered
before-filter qmgr logs that the file is deleted
after-filter qmgr logs sender and number of recipients
after-filter smtp logs that mail is delivered
after-filter qmgr logs that the file is deleted