Yes, I moved the Apple /usr/bin/sendmail to /usr/bin/old-sendmail
Then created a symlink from my own build of sendmail. /usr/local/bin/sendmail
to /usr/bin/sendmail, and now Apple’s mail works as it should.

The original complaint from mail when I moved the /etc/postfix directory to
/etc/old-postfix was that it could no longer find /etc/postfix/main.cf - … it
was actually Apple’s sendmail was looking for it
Now, my own sendmail knows where to find the config files. in
/usr/local/etc/postfix

As far as I know, the only thing using “mail” on my machine is cron, and
occasionally me when I’m testing something. and it works fine now.

> On 14 Mar 2016, at 16:01, @lbutlr <krem...@kreme.com> wrote:
>
> On Mar 13, 2016, at 12:58 AM, rob...@chalmers.com.au wrote:
>> So I renamed/moved /etc/postfix, to /etc/old-postfix. .which has been ok,
>> except for 'mail'
>> Eg
>> echo date | mail rob...@chalmers.com
>> Fails with
>> 'can't find /etc/postfix/main.cf'
>>
>> It's the only thing that fails. I move old-postfix back to etc/postfix, and
>> of course it works again.
>> I need 'mail' to work, because it is used by crown if nothing else…
>
> Did you replace the default sendmail with a link to your postfix build’s
> sendmail? This caused me trouble on my FreeBSD machine when sending mail from
> the command line.
>
> --
> Don't be afraid to be weak, Don't be too proud to be strong.

Robert Chalmers
rob...@chalmers.com <mailto:rob...@chalmers.com>.au  Quantum Radio:
http://tinyurl.com/lwwddov
Mac mini 6.2 - 2012, Intel Core i7,2.3 GHz, Memory:16 GB. El-Capitan 10.11.
XCode 7.2.1
2TB: Drive 0:HGST HTS721010A9E630. Upper bay. Drive 1:ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB.
Lower Bay