Jack Bates:
> Is there an address rewriting step that affects only virtual_alias_domains?

No, there is no address rewriting for virtual_alias_domains only
(or for relay_domains, or for virtual_mailbox_domains).

> I tried the following:
>
>    virtual_alias_domains = nottheoilrig.com
>    virtual_alias_maps = static:nottheoilrig
> expecting to deliver all virtual_alias_domains mail to one user,
> and I was surprised when ALL mail was delivered to the user!

virtual_alias_maps is for all (recipient) email addresses.  In old
postfix versions the aliases and domains were listed in the same
table, and that was even more confusing.

> The following achieved my desired behavior:
>
>    virtual_alias_domains = nottheoilrig.com
>    virtual_alias_maps = inline:{ @nottheoilrig.com=nottheoilrig }

Clever! The same could be done with a database file:

/etcpostfix/main.cf:
    virtual_alias_domains = nottheoilrig.com

/etc/postfix/virtual:
    @nottheoilrig.com   nottheoilrig

But the inline version is fine for not too any entries.