OK, perhaps I don't understand. I am not using saslauthd at all. It's not even installed.

Why do other clients (e.g.: Thunderbird, Apple Mail) work and do an authentication just fine over TLS (breaking RFC I guess because it's still not advertised as per debug_peer logging)?

However, if I change the smtpd_tls_auth_only to "no" then the AUTH methods show up with or without TLS. Which I do not want, obviously.

Changing that smtpd_sasl to yes gives this error:

warning: SASL authentication failure: cannot connect to saslauthd server: No such file or directory

-e