On 27/06/16 18:41, li...@lazygranch.com wrote:
> "As a relatively simple example, I use amavisd-new and Spamassassin
> to flag mail with a spam header. Then Dovecot LMTP with sieve looks
> for this header and if it is present it delivers to the user's "Spam"
> folder."
>
> Well this is interesting. I have a similar setup for postfix. With my
> desktop email client (Claws), the program "builds the tree" based on
> what I assume resides on the email server.

Right, sieve basically does the same thing that most client-side
filtering does, but it does it on the server.  This has advantages where
you aren't dependant on the end-user to do the filtering from their client.

> So what on the server creates this spam folder?

That would be created at the same time that you create the mailbox,
likely using the same process.  For example, you can specify that
postfixadmin create additional folders for you when a mailbox is
created.  Other admin front-ends would have similar functionality, and
you can easily script such an action if you roll your own.

> I still rather just let the client filter the message based on the
> header rewrite. Less work.

Depends on your needs, the OP specifically said that he needed a
server-side solution.  In the case of spam, it makes sense to do it
server-side as a global sieve rule rather than relying on several
hundred or thousands of users to do it client-side on various different
clients.

Peter