On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 9:17 PM, Viktor Dukhovni
<postfix-us...@dukhovni.org> wrote:

>> On Jul 8, 2016, at 9:15 PM, Wietse Venema <wie...@porcupine.org> wrote:
>>
>> Your SASL library cannot authenticate with PLAIN or LOGIN.
>
> Another possibility is that it supports and prefers XOAUTH2, but lacks
> the necessary credentials or configuration to do so.  In that case filtering
> out that mechanism might resolve the problem.  It could be that the server
> side has only recently enabled that mechanism.

Answering Wietse here, too, but I haven't touched the config and it's
been months since the config's  been touched at all, and the server
got rebooted a few weeks ago for a UPS replacement, so it seems likely
that comcast changed something.  According to
https://www.iana.org/assignments/sasl-mechanisms/sasl-mechanisms.xml
XOAUTH2 is totally obsolete and I can't imagine Comcast requiring that
at this late date (I've been doing PLAIN over TLS for the last two
years with this postfix instance).

How might 'filtering out that mechanism" be done, Viktor?  Doesn't
sound (or look like, based on SASL_README) that it's something done in
postfix.

smtp sasl options in main.cf:

smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/Library/Server/Mail/Config/postfix/sasl/passwd