On 2016-09-28 00:31, Giovanni Harting wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but that document you describe issues by
> Mozilla and others, doesn't it state that it would only affect new
> issues certs after a certain date?

Yes, but most StartSSL/WoSign certificates are only valid for a year or
less. So customers should start looking for alternative providers *now*,
because a year-long block will affect almost all of them.

> Am 09/28/16 um 00:29 schrieb Viktor Dukhovni:
>> WoSign (who seemingly purchased StartCom) seem to have run into
>> some compliance issues as reported by Firefox:
>>

>> http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/09/firefox-ready-to-block-certificate-authority-that-threatened-web-security/
>>

>> Many SMTP servers are using certs from StartCom.  In my DANE
>> adoption survey, out of 2201 certificates used by DANE MX
>> hosts 411 are issued by StartCom and 47 by WoSign.  So that's
>> just over 20% of observed certificates.  While the rate is
>> likely different for the larger SMTP ecosystem (DANE users
>> are bleeding edge, not representative at this time), I expect
>> that these CAs are still quite popular overall.
>>
>> If you're using StartCom/WoSign certs, and rely on them being
>> verified by MUAs and/or peer MTAs. you may want to make
>> contingency plans if Mozilla and perhaps others go through
>> with delisting (or disabling) the related root CAs from
>> their trusted CA bundles.

Sven Schwedas, Systemadministrator
Mail/XMPP sven.schwe...@tao.at | Skype sven.schwedas
TAO Digital | Lendplatz 45 | A8020 Graz