> On Oct 3, 2016, at 10:47 AM, Fongaboo <post...@fongaboo.com> wrote:
>

> I'm running Postfix 2.11.7 on FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE.
>
> Just wanted to get folks' opinions/rationale/thoughts on behavior of some of
> the RBL's.
>
> Specifically SORBS.NET... I first set up my server using a popular FreeBSD
> tutorial. SORBS.NET was included in a list of recommended RBL's in the latest
> incarnation of that tutorial.
>
> But it seemed like every other day I was whitelisting servers of mainstream
> providers like Gmail and Facebook. They seem to be... how do I say...
> extremely absolutist in their protocol for blacklisting? So at the end of the
> day it ends up not being practically useful.
>
> I first tried whitelisting IP blocks as I found problems, but it's been a
> constant game of whack-a-mole (or *un*-whack-a-mole, in this context,
> rather?). So I finally decided to remove their reject_rbl_client entries in
> main.cf.
>
> Every issue with misidentified rejections has been due to SORBS. Have others
> had similar experiences or different approaches?

SORBS has a long history, which I'd be surprised if this thread doesn't go into
in painful depth.

But that doesn't really matter. What matters is how well it works for you and
your users. It's obviously not working well for you so it'd be appropriate to
stop using it, at least for hard rejection.

(There are very few reputation lists I'd be comfortable using to reject mail
based purely on peer IP rather than as part of a scoring or content-based
approach. I could count them on the fingers of one hand, and that's including
three spamhaus lists).

Cheers,
  Steve