Hi

I wish to set up a multi instance filter-before-queue incoming edge relay
postfix 3.1.* configuration. I've been studying the MULTI_INSTANCE_README which
describes only the filter-after-queue multi setup and the SMTPD_PROXY_README
which describes the filter-before-queue non-multi setup.  I've not been able to
deduce the answer to the following from this and the other postfix
documentation.

QUESTION: what is the interaction between smtpd_proxy_filter and the various
transport settings?

SPECULATION: In the postfix-recv instance (that receives email from the
internet and conveys it to the filter) setting
smtpd_proxy_filter=127.0.0.1:10025 will make that instance ignore any values
set for the various transports, such as relay_transport, fallback_relay,
virtual_transport, default_transport, transport_maps, etc.  This implies that a
transport table can not be used to discard email to select recipients.  Further
the instance will ignore several of the actions in an access(5) table, such as
FILTER, HOLD, and REDIRECT.  It is possible that BCC and DISCARD do work.  And
the other actions should work.  However there is no PROXY_FILTER action to
allow one to selectively do filter-before-queue while defaulting to
filter-after-queue.

Thanks
Regards,
Todd Olson