On Nov 10, 2016, at 17.17, Noel Jones <njo...@megan.vbhcs.org> wrote:

> On 11/10/2016 4:05 PM, btb wrote:
>> hi-
>>
>> i have an "appliance" which submits mail.  it's inflexible,
>> unfortunately, and uses crappy values for the envelope sender and the
>> from: header.  i have communicated with the vendor in an attempt to
>> rectify this, but as might be expected, the outcome has been less than
>> successful.
>>
>> hopefully some day, this changes, but in the interim, i'd like to
>> rewrite the envelope sender and the from: header [ala
>> sender_canonical_maps] for all mail from this client.
>>
>> how should i do this?  is the best method to set up an additional
>> cleanup(8) instance with its own sender_canonical_maps for just this
>> client?  somehow connect the client to its own smtp(8) service to use
>> smtp_generic_maps?  are there other/better methods?
>>
>> thanks
>> -ben
>>

> depending on "how" the addresses are broken, you can probably just
> use canonical_maps to always rewrite the offending address to
> something valid.  There shouldn't be any need for additional cleanup
> service unless you're fighting some common misspelling.
>
> Send specifics of what you're trying to rewrite for further help.

in particular, this client impersonates our users, which we don't want.  it is
aware of users and their email addresses [it's part of a voicemail system which
sends voicemail messages as email attachments, and "helpfully" claims the email
message was sent by the caller].  for us, this is undesirable.

when a user submits a message with a sender of u...@example.com, we of course
don't want to change that.  however, when this client does it, we do.  the
localpart is dynamic.  for example, i would like to rewrite a sender of
/^.*@example.com$/, but only when the message came from this client.  many
other messages with a sender which matches /^.*@example.com$/ are submitted
from many other clients, but those don't need to be changed.