This comes under the notion that if you don't ask, you don't learn.

I did some dovecot2 updates, so naturally I decided to test the mail
system. When I mail a message to myself, this is the TLS notification:
(using TLSv1.2 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 (128/128 bits))

However I do receive mail with higher levels of encryption. For example:
 (using TLSv1.2 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384 (256/256 bits))

But in both cases, isn't my certificate the one being used for
encryption? Other than building my cert at 4096 bits, I don't remember
much other than it was a pain to get working.

If you know what ELI5 means, that would be appreciated.