On 11/21/2016 2:46 PM, @lbutlr wrote:
> I am wondering what the various possible types of events postscreen logs. I
> checked man postsreen(8) but it doesn’t seem to give them.
>
> I know there are PASS NEW, PASS OLD, CONNECT, DISCONNECT, HANGUP, NOQUEUE,
> COMMAND, cache, and DNSBL. Any others I am missing?
>
> Are these documented in some other man page?

Most of this is covered in the readme:
http://www.postfix.org/POSTSCREEN_README.html

> (Currently I’m interested int he difference between HANGUP and DISCONNECT and
> NOQUEUE and why sometimes hosts that connect thousands of times with high RBL
> scores don’t necessarily get HANGUP.)

HANGUP: the client disconnected unexpectedly. Spambots often do this
after a recipient is rejected.
DISCONNECT: postscreen is done with the client and did not pass the
connection to smtpd
NOQUEUE: if you've configured postfix to log the sender/recipient of
a rejected message (enforce), this is both a placeholder for the
queue id and a reminder the message was not queued.

If you've configured postscreen with "enforce", it's not unusual for
all three of the above to be logged for a particular client connection.

As you see, HANGUP is something the client does, not a postscreen
action.

  -- Noel Jones