On 11/22/2016 10:47 AM, @lbutlr wrote:
On Nov 21, 2016, at 9:34 PM, E. Recio <emre...@verizon.net> wrote:
So I have a problem in that using egrep and python my regexp works fine. However, when I
implement this regexp in procmail it does not. I have handled the space-before-backslash
issue already... but is there another nuance I am not understanding? Is there a way to
have procmail process an "eml" file or mbox file for testing, or even generic
regexp testing on standard in?

There is a procmail mailing list. It is not very active.

L i s t-S u b s c r i b e:
        <mailto:procmail-requ...@lists.rwth-aachen.de?subject=s u b s c r i b e

Procmail hasn’t seen any development effort in close to 20 years, with the last
real update back in 1999, IIRC. I would not suggest anyone start on procmail
now, and I say this as someone who uses procmail.

Thanks for the advice! It's been on all my computers since I started using *nix in 1997. I guess I took it for granted as a tool like "grep" :) I am using procmail for some simple maillist filtering, and spamassassin run for my account only (personal boxes), not a massive deployment for end-users. Hopefully it won't be deprecated soon.

Secondly, is there a way for postfix to reject mail from unresolvable domains
(e.g.: reverse lookup of 1.2.3.4 returns unknown, please reject).

I think that is

 reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname,

but I also use:
 reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
 reject_unknown_sender_domain,
 reject_invalid_hostname,

Wow, these settings cut down on spam by a lot! My concern is that if someone is on a private remote NAT network (sending real) example.com (sending real) 1.2.3.4 but the host behind the 1.2.3.4 NAT is (sending host) example.local (sending host) 10.1.2.3 and sends email by directly connecting to my postfix server via 25, would the email get to me? How common is that scenario when most providers are blocking 25 out, and require users to use their authenticated relay?

Of course for real hosted solutions or cloud services (servers) I don't see this being a problem because the sending server would get resolved.

Thanks in advance.