Matthias Andree:
> Greetings and a happy new year,
>

> I still am in a situation where I occasionally need to have an SMTP
> client (preferable Postfix's) talk through an SSH tunnel.
>
> I know we have the smtp(8) client, and we have the pipe(8) client for
> injecting RFC5322 stuff into commands, but what I need is some form of
> the smtp(8) client talk to the ssh command (with certain arguments)
> instead of establishing the TCP connection by itself. The current
> workaround is to establish SSH port forwarding asynchronously, and that
> is a fragile setup that I would like to replace by something synchronous
> that doesn't need to set up TCP tunnels when I can instead have "ssh -W
> host:port" that talks through stdin/stdout.
>
> I haven't seen such a feature in the 3.1 release notes - what needs to
> happen that smtp can - perhaps via special syntax - be made to talk
> through a command's stdio rather than through BSD sockets?

You need to make smtp(8) talk to a TCP port (or UNIX-domain port),
an arrange for a little daemon that listens on that port, and that
invokes ssh when a connection is established to that port. Then
the little daemon shuttles bits up and down. Such an on-demand
TCP relay could be done in Perl, Python, or any capable language.