On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 05:24:54PM -0500, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

> > On Feb 17, 2017, at 10:43 AM, Chris Green <c...@isbd.net> wrote:
> >
> > Ah, I've maybe just spotted the reason, smtp_tls_wrappermode is new in
> > postfix 3, is that what makes the difference?
>
> Yes.
>
> > I'd still like a simple explanation though!  :-)
>
> That's the simple explanation.  SMTP directly over TLS requires the new
> feature.  TLS via the SMTP STARTTLS command dates back to Postfix 2.2
> (and unofficial patches in even older Postfix versions).

OK, so the older version is using SMTP STARTTLS which runs on port 587
and the newer (>=3) version is using TLS directly on port 465.

Should it still be possible to use SMTP STARTTLS on port 587 with
newer postfix versions?  I couldn't make this work, or at least I
don't think I could.  I'd be happier using as far as possible the same
configuration on all my installations.

--
Chris Green