On Feb 22, 2017, at 16.21, Ian Evans <dheianev...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Background: Have a postfix/dovecot/amavisd-new system that has been running
> smoothly for several years. Just a handful of virtual users, ie:
> /home/vmail/example.com/ianevans/Maildir
>
> As we are starting to use multiple devices finally, decided to move away from
> pop3/imap to all imap.
>
> sieve plugin has been configured. All that's left is to have postfix use
> dovecot lda. Just wanted to make sure that this is all I need to do on the
> postfix end in master.cf:
>
> dovecot   unix  –       n       n       –       –       pipe
> flags=DRhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/lib/dovecot/dovecot-lda -f ${sender} -d
> ${recipient}
>
> Any other config info I should post here to make sure that the dovecot line
> will not step on any config toes.

i would relay to dovecot via lmtp(8), rather than via pipe(8).  additionally,
personally, i prefer to use the relay address class for arrangements like this,
rather than the virtual address class.  lastly, you reference amavis, so i'll
mention that, in basic setups [which most are] i'd also suggest relaying from
postfix to amavis, via lmtp, and then from amavis to dovecot, also via lmtp,
rather than going back through postfix first, which is often how it's been
done, traditionally.

imo, this simplifies the configuration, and simplifies the flow, conceptually.
some might point out a caveat regarding constraints on alias expansion or the
like when not passing mail back to postfix, which is true, but imo, doing alias
expansion in front of the content filter is the desirable of the two anyway,
outside of the exception here or there, like anything else.