On 4 March 2017 at 13:53, Dirk Stöcker <post...@dstoecker.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Feb 2017, Noel Jones wrote:
>
>>> in one project I'm sending a bunch of status mails to a number of
>>> different recepients. From time some of them cannot be delivered
>>> (address changes, server misconfigurations, employment changes, ...).
>>>
>>> The bounces from the mail come back to my mail server and should go
>>> to a contractor of us managing the e-mail addresses.
>>

>> Stop there.  The mail envelope sender should direct bounces to the
>> party responsible, and they should deal with the mail directly.  Set
>> the envelope sender properly and don't use crappy workarounds.
>

> The mail is bounced to the server responsible for it - my mail server.
>
> The "deal with the mail" is what I'm talking here, because I must inform
> somebody else about the bounce. I'm searching a simple way to make the
> bounce mail available in a form that it is not rejected by mailinglist
> software with automatic bounce detection.
>
> Currently I manually write a mail from time to time telling them about the
> bouncing mails and the reasons, so they can update the database. It would be
> MUCH easier when they simply could read the bounces themselves.
>
>>> Now I forward the mail to an email on their mail server where it arrives,
>>> but
>>> later it gets lost somewhere when internal distribution is done.
>>> Probably a mailinglist dropping bounces or something alike.
>>>
>>> I'd like to know if there is an easy way in my postfix instance to
>>> encapsulate the bounce mails (or any email) I get into new mails of
>>> my own containing the bounce and maybe a simple text like "E-Mail
>>> delivery issue for ...", so it is no longer a normal bounce, but a
>>> normal email?
>>

>> If you must do this, hold your nose and pipe the bounce to formail.
>

> Sorry, but that sentence does not help me to understand what needs to be
> done at all.
>
>> Or get a better provider.
>

> What provider?

I have a similar situation. I wrote a script which spots the relevant
bounce message in the mail log, from this it extracts the queue-id and
uses this to identify the copy of the original email saved in the
temporary local mailbox (which saves all mails passing through the
server). It extracts this email from there and forwards it as an
attachment to the relevant person using s-nail, with an explanatory
cover message. The same approach might work for you.