* Bastian Blank <bastian+postfix-users=postfix....@waldi.eu.org> [170322 16:27]:
> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 04:11:19PM -0400, Marvin Renich wrote:
> > At 12:30 I edited main.cf to add inet_protocols = ipv4, then restarted
> > Postfix.  I did not reboot or restart any other services, or (knowingly)
> > clear any dns cache.
>
> - You have by any chance a nameserver != 127.0.0.1 or ::1 in
>   /etc/resolv.conf and it can change during the runtime of the system?
> - You run Postfix daemons chrooted? (check the chroot column in
>   /etc/postfix/master.cf)

Yes to both!  I think that explains it.  resolv.con was copied to the
chroot during a reboot after a power (and therefore network) outage,
when it had a bad value.  The chrooted copy was never updated after the
network came back up.  (The laptop boots much faster than the machine
with the DHCP server!)

Thank you very much!  Now I know how to handle this the next time it
happens (and, in fact, will be expecting it to happen in those
circumstances).

...Marvin