My 2 cents.

I had a Digital Ocean snapshot that turned out to be unbootable. (I have no
explanation.) My snapshot procedure since then is I shut down all the services,
power down, take the snapshot and restore from that snapshot.

Me paranoid? Yep. I also keep two snapshots, both of which have been proven to
be bootable.

You would think an image of a droplet that was running should be bootable, but
real life can be full of surprises.

Regarding rsync, at least you won't lose user data and configuration files. But
restoration from rsync still sounds like work to me.

Digital Ocean had one situation where a backup was bad.

https://murze.be/2016/02/today-digitalocean-lost-our-entire-server/

‎I'm picking on Digital Ocean, but Vultr and Linode have similar incidents.

If my flow was to do powered (operating) images...well I wouldn't. I'd go for
rsync. I would have a script scheme to rebuild (reconfigure) the OS from a
stock droplet.