On 18 April 2017 at 16:35, Christoph Pleger <christ...@plmail.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have here two different postfix installations, one is postfix 2.11.3-1
> from Debian 8, the other is postfix 3.1.0-3 from Ubuntu 16.04. /etc/postfix/
> main.cf is the same on both machines, mydomain and myhostname are not set
> in main.cf . When I call postconf, I get
>
> mydomain = cs.uni-dortmund.de
> myhostname = cloudhost177.cs.uni-dortmund.de
>
> on the Debian machine, but
>
> mydomain = localdomain
> myhostname = cloudhost176.localdomain
>
> on the Ubuntu machine.

>From http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#myhostname: the default [for
myhostname] is to use the fully-qualified domain name (FQDN) from
gethostname(), or to use the non-FQDN result from gethostname() and append
".$mydomain"

- i.e. what you see when you type 'hostname' at the command line, which in
turn is usually taken from the contents of /etc/hostname. And mydomain is
by default derived from myhostname. If you update /etc/hostname you may
also need to update /etc/hosts.