> On May 11, 2017, at 12:16 PM, Purushotham Nayak
> <purushotham.m.na...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 2. I noticed that when the milter application exits, it sends FIN to smtpd
> but smtpd keeps the connection open in the CLOSE_WAIT state. When the client
> sends something new and smptd tries to send SMFIC_ABORT to the milter on the
> old connection in the CLOSE_WAIT state it gets a reset and then the
> connection is closed. This is not really a problem, but just that the socket
> stays in CLOSE_WAIT state sometimes for a long time if there is nothing new
> from the client.

The smtpd(8) process is single-threaded, and only looks at the milter connection
when it is using the milter.   If the milter connection closes while smtpd(8) is
doing other things, it will be kept open until it is time to try to use it.

If you are in the habit of restarting milters, you may as well at least "postfix
reload" when you do so.  A more invasive:

        postfix stop; delay?; <milter> stop; <milter> start; delay?; postfix
start

will ensure no anomalies in milter use while the milter is down.

--
        Viktor.