On 8 June 2017 at 12:20, Marek Kozlowski <m.kozlow...@mini.pw.edu.pl> wrote:

> :-)
>
> On 06/08/2017 12:38 PM, Dominic Raferd wrote:
> > On 08/06/2017 10:55, Marek Kozlowski wrote:
> >> :-)
> >>
> >> Numerous users of my system use forward to external MTAs. From time to
> >> time it causes some issues with SPF on those MTAs. SRS could resolve
> >> those.
> >> I'm wondering if you could recommend any SRS software which nicely
> >> integrates with postfix and doesn't interfere with canonicals (postsrsd
> >> does[*])...
> >>

> > We forward our users' incoming mails through our postfix servers to
> > external MTAs (almost always Gmail). Yes it breaks SPF but it is not
> > usually a problem, because it doesn't break DKIM. It would of course be
> > a problem if the external MTAs chose to enforce rejection based purely
> > on SPF; a very unwise practice IMO, but there may not be much you can do
> > about it.
> >
> > In our case (with Gmail as the external MTA) it is only a problem if the
> > source domain has a 'reject' DMARC policy and the original message,
> > though passing SPF, fails DKIM (probably because it is unsigned). Our
> > system monitors the log for such a rejection (by Gmail) and if found
> > will then encapsulate the original message and re-send it to recipient
> > (with an explanatory text). In my experience such instances are very
> rare.
>
> I've recently implemented opendkim. As far as I understand your
> explanation if the message is DKIM-signed I should not worry too much
> about SRS?

To be honest ​I haven't tried SRS; but if it doesn't break DKIM I would
expect it to break DMARC (because of alignment concept). Maybe someone
knows different?

Our servers use openDMARC; openDKIM and python-policyd-spf are used but
only to add informational headers for openDMARC. We enforce p=reject DMARC
policy but (in another coded workaround) any mail placed by openDMARC in
the postfix hold queue (p=quarantine DMARC policy) is released​ and sent
onward so that the end MTA (Gmail) can receive and quarantine it (i.e. put
into Gmail 'Spam' folder).