On 2 July 2017 at 14:31, Dusan Obradovic <du...@euracks.net> wrote:

> > On Jun 9, 2017, at 21:45, Steve Jenkins <st...@stevejenkins.com> wrote:
> >
> > I've got a Postfix server hosting a lastname.org domain name for family
> members.
> >
> > I use virtual aliasing to forward inbound mail for family members to
> third-pary mail providers (mostly gmail, but a few yahoo and aol, too).
> >
> > I've also created user accounts on the server for a very small handful
> of immediate family members (4 people) so they can authenticate (via TLS)
> send email as firstn...@lastname.org (which is properly DKIM signed and
> will pass an SPF check).
> >
> > I do not provide any mail storage or retrieval on the server (no POP or
> IMAP) for any family members.
> >
> > This has worked fine for years, but now I'm starting to see warnings in
> the Postfix log from Gmail, stating that the server is being rate-limited
> because of unsolicited messages. I presume that Gmail is sensing SPAM being
> sent to the @lastname.org accounts, which gets forwarded to the family
> member's Gmail account. I don't do any spam checking or filtering on the
> Postfix server.
> >
> > So my questions are:
> >
> > 1) What's the best way to forward family members' incoming mail to Gmail
> (and other mailers)?
> >
> > 2) My Postscreen and main.cf sender restrictions are rejecting a fair
> amount of inbound spam, but apparently not enough to keep Gmail happy.
> >
> > 3) Should I consider setting up SpamAssassin with some very low
> thresholds to pick up the obvious stuff?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Steve
>
> When forwarding without SRS - Sender Rewriting Scheme you'll need to
> account for SPF failures.

True, but provided your own server is enforcing DMARC (e.g. using
opendmarc) it is only a problem for legitimate incoming mails from a domain
with p=reject DMARC policy and which are incorrectly DKIM-signed (or are
unsigned), and thus depend on SPF (which is broken by relaying) for
delivery. Fortunately such instances are rare.

My (automated) solution in such a case is to rewrite the response code from
the onward server's 550 5.7.1 to 250 2.0.0 and to forward the original
email to the original recipient *as an attachment* with an explanatory
cover message.