Take a look at your header file when using the VPN to email yourself. I
think what you want happens automatically.

10.8.0.6 is the local IP space created by my VPN. But my IP address
also shows up, so hopefully a guru will chime in as to how this all
works.

One thing to consider is that you may run into an internet provider
(probably public wifi) that blocks the use of a VPN. Somewhat common
with IPSEC. Perhaps less with openvpn. So you wouldn't want to make the
VPN be a mandatory requirement.