On 05/08/17 17:05, rea...@newsguy.com wrote:
Details:
Setup: Newish install of ubuntu-26 (still making settings etc)
Not sure what ubuntu-26 is, but I'm using smarthost configuration in Ubuntu. Local gurus can advice on installing from source, but it is not necessary.

I want to be able to pull mail from various pop3 and imap accounts.
Probably with fetchmail (I've used for many years)
Nothing to do with postfix.

With sendmail:
I used the smarthost method by masquerading as newsguy.
Not sure how to do it with postfix. Or if something
else entirely is needed.
Ubuntu has interactive installer for package postfix that allows you to create smarthost configuration. Did you try it? The only thing you may need tweaking is authentication. Read about smtp_sasl_auth_enable, smtp_sasl_security_options and smtp_sasl_password_maps . As soon as you get it working, ramp up the encryption using smtp_tls_*

--

With Best Regards,
Marat Khalili